This space is all about seeking
the moments that cause
'excited chills' and creating a life
that's simple, authentic and beautiful.
Happy October! Welcome to Write 31 Days. My topic for this year's challenge is...Simply Now - knowing, learning, yearning. In case you missed it earlier, I'll be using the A-Z method again. Each day this month, I’ll offer a word or words. I'll share my thoughts on that word and how it is currently playing out in my life.
I’m hopeful that a few of the words will ring true for you and that some might even ignite a fresh curiosity or spark a new passion.
While I really love this challenge, the first day always feels a bit like being on the edge of something big...ready to leap. Thank you for being here with me. Deep breath.
What I expose over the next 31 days is my truth and I offer it to you in hopes that you’ll find comfort in my honesty during this magical month of October.
The words I’ve chosen have special meaning for me right now.
Some days I'll be channeling my inner Oprah and sharing "What I know for sure". Other days, I’ll be letting you see what I’m eager to learn or yearning to include in my life.
I always welcome your comments.
FYI- As the month progresses, I'll post a link to each day at the bottom of this first post. That way you can always refer back here for any of my Write 31 Days 2017 posts.
Okay. Here we go…
I might as well dive right in! I’m starting off this challenge with a word that scares me.
If I’m completely honest, it’s the opposite of alive that frightens me. I mean, think about it, the word Alive doesn’t get the same attention that Dead demands. Many of us take ‘alive’ for granted.
Thinking it’s a given, only it’s not.
I rarely ponder death, but I’m beginning to more seriously ponder life. Maybe it’s my age, but I’m lately I’ve become much more in tune with being alive. I'm realizing that this ride is fleeting, fragile and freaking fabulous!
For years, I read about awakening and living life in a state of awareness. Intellectually, it made sense. I understood the concept, but I didn’t really live it. I don’t think I really knew how.
Immersed in the wild and woolly years of raising three small children, I rarely felt awake. And let’s just say that my concept of awareness was significantly underdeveloped. I was certainly not feeling the full magnitude of being alive.
I feel it today. I feel it every day.
I’ve had the humble privilege of witnessing the miracle of birth. Obviously, I was present for the birth of my own three children, but I’ve also been wondrously blessed to share this experience (as a doula) with many other mothers.
The change in energy is undeniable. As a new life enters the room, there is a shift. The anticipation turns to bliss as the first cry is finally heard.
The awe of human life is almost palpable.
When do we lose that feeling? When do we forget how truly special it is to be alive?
The worries and stresses add up over the years and we grow numb to the incredible gift that is our life-force. We become immune to the innate and universal wisdom of the human body.
Until we begin to sense that it won’t last forever.
I’m there. I fully grasp that life is finite. There is a limit to our human existence.
That knowledge has the power to change everything.
Once we realize and then really tap in to the truth of our temporary lives…we can begin to live bigger. We can set out to create lives worthy of this miraculous human experience.
It’s time to wake up.
Embrace the pure joy of being alive!
In order really honor my ‘aliveness’, I’ve been incorporating the following into my life.
1. Breathwork- We have this amazing built-in mechanism for finding peace and presence. It's always available to us. Our breath. At any moment, we can return to our breath. Feeling and savoring the inhalations and exhalations. Slowing down to the wise rhythm of breathing. A quick Google search will offer you lots of options for working with your breath. My favorite is the 4-7-8 Breath from Andrew Weil. I find it very helpful when I'm having trouble falling asleep.
2. Love hard- Our ability to love is more powerful than I ever truly understood. It is cleansing and unifying. It may well be ‘all there is’ and ‘all we need’. It is universal. Don’t hold back. The beautiful thing is...love doesn’t run out. Similar to a flame, love can be shared and given and it does not weaken. Offer it freely. Open your heart. And maybe begin with loving yourself a little bit more.
3. Pay attention- Focus. Be curious. See things as if for the first time. This requires us to stop rushing. Our world is a most remarkable place and too often we are zipping full speed past moments we would really enjoy if we’d just slow down and witness. Even just once a day, take a moment to really pay attention...to your kids, to the clouds, to the taste of your coffee...anything that reminds you that you're alive.
4. Reality check- As my sweet mom is known to say when discussing growing older, "It beats the alternative". Remember that being alive is an honor. The greatest blessing. It's not a given for everyone. If you're lucky enough to be alive, celebrate it!
I'd love to know your thoughts.
How does the word Alive make you feel?
Don't miss a single day of Write 31 Days. Sign up here!
Thank you for following along:-)
Below I'll add a link to each day's post for easy reference.
1. Alive (this post)
2. Bullet Journal
4. Coconut Oil
11. Impostor Syndrome
12. Jade Beall
13. Jade Egg
24. Self-care (the sexy kind)
28. Wicked Smaht
31. Zero Waste