Paris Week is over...but I'm sure there will be more to share about Paris before the end of this writing challenge.
Leaves are beginning to fall and I realize that winter is not far behind. Cold weather always makes me yearn for a tropical get-away.
An ideal location for such a get-away...
Vieques, Puerto Rico
Vieques is a small island that sits six miles off the southeast coast of Puerto Rico. I was lucky enough to be whisked away to this special island by my husband for my 40th birthday.
What a spot!
5 reasons Vieques is a super destination!
1. The island is home to herds of wild horses. This is not a tourist gimmick. The horses are impossible to miss. They roam free throughout the island. The are beautiful in this incredible environment.
Another blogger's experience with the wild horses of Vieques.
2. You must rent a Jeep to get to the beaches. For the Indiana Jones in everyone...the best beaches can only be accessed by dirt roads in a 4-wheel drive vehicle. It is awesome! Note: some of the larger hotels have private beaches for their guests...but these beaches DO NOT compare to what you will see with a Jeep. Rent the Jeep. Drive through the brush and the puddles. It's not to be missed.
3. There are amazing small inns and hotels...and incredible rental properties. I have done Vieques in both hotels and rental homes. My family usually opts for a rental because there are five of us and we like to have a full kitchen. Either way, there are many cool options for lodging.
For my birthday trip we stayed at Bravo Beach Hotel. Beyond fabulous!
Here is their Tripadvisor link.
If a rental home is more your style...HomeAway and VRBO both have lots of properties.
4. Vieques is part of the United States. This means...US voltage, a US post office, most locals speak English in addition to Spanish, and the US dollar is the currency. All of these things make a vacation in Vieques a bit easier than a trip out of the country...yet you are out of the country...as evidenced by the culture and the views!
5. The beaches rock! Truly the most pristine, breathtaking, beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The island is unspoiled and sleepy compared to some of it's Caribbean neighbors.
And...Vieques is still unknown enough that their are no crowds. We were on several beaches...alone! No other people in sight. A little slice of paradise.
Ahhh... I need a little beach.
Thanks for reading. More tomorrow.
Hello, I'm Kristen.
As a personal stylist,