This space is all about seeking
the moments that cause
'excited chills' and creating a life
that's simple, authentic and beautiful.
Okay, please pay close attention. This topic is a game-changer.
When adding pieces to your wardrobe I believe one question stands out
as the most important to ask?
Do you LOVE it?
I work in retail and in closets. I help women build wardrobes. I give opinions on garments all day long. I am always honest and practical
when assisting women in the fitting room and in the home.
I always ask…Do you love it?
So many women (even me…when I sometimes forget this crucial step) make clothing purchases without exploring whether they really love the item they are buying.
I have a long-held belief that we should only buy things we truly love. I often see women buying clothing that they believe to be “almost…close…or fine”.
That is not the way to build a fabulous wardrobe. A fabulous wardrobe consists of pieces you absolutely love!
Ideally with no exceptions. None.
As some of you already know, I recently read
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. This quick read is incredibly powerful and is indeed, life-changing. I was so taken with this book that I devoted several blog posts to the philosophy of Ms. Kondo.
You can read more about my journey here.
The basic concept of Ms. Kondo’s decluttering method comes down to asking yourself one simple question about what you choose to keep in
your wardrobe, in your home and ultimately in your life…
Does it spark joy?
If your answer is no…out it goes.
One of the easiest ways to cultivate a beautiful, efficient wardrobe that supports your lifestyle is to stop buying things you don’t love. This practice goes a long way towards keeping clutter from taking over your closet.
Five ways to LOVE your wardrobe:
1. Choose the best possible version for you right now. Loving an item doesn’t mean you can only choose the most expensive option. Sometimes there will be a piece on your ‘wish list’ that will be unattainable. Pick a comparable garment that you can really love until that wish list item can
be yours. A little side note: If you absolutely can’t imagine your life without the highest quality option…design a plan to acquire it.
Do you dream of wearing an Hermes belt? Develop a belt budget and
save until you can afford it.
You won’t be happy until you own a Chanel jacket? Start scouring ebay and boutique-style resale shops. Again, create a plan and make it happen.
2. Be discerning. Really consider every purchase. Here are some questions I ask myself when shopping…
Would I buy the item if it was full price? Would I be disappointed if I don’t purchase it and it’s gone if I return for it? Will I be super envious if I see it on someone else?
3. Protect your closet space. Don’t let anything that is less than amazing reside in your closet! A jam-packed closet does not give you more wardrobe options…if only causes wardrobe paralysis. You can’t make any decisions when you have way too much stuff! That’s why it always feels like you have nothing to wear.
4. Shop with intent. Before you shop, know what your wardrobe is missing. Make a list. Utilize the sales associates at the stores where you love to shop. Let them do their job and help you find just the right pieces. It’s instantly obvious when a customer absolutely loves what she's buying. She radiates an ‘I love this’ energy. Aim for that feeling with every purchase!
5. If you don’t love it, leave it. Continue your search. Hold out for the pieces that make you light up. Think about a piece in your current wardrobe that always makes you feel fantastic…expect that from all of your clothing. All of it.
It’s not hard. It doesn’t have to be expensive. It just requires a shift in thinking and a bit of patience. Building a wardrobe filled only with pieces you love is the ultimate goal…take your time. It will be so very worth it in the end.
Enjoying 31 Days of Simple Style?
There is still a long way to go. Don't miss a single day!
Click here to be included in the daily update.
If you only take away one message from all 31 Days of Simple Style, this one is the most vital! Buy what you love and your wardrobe will improve.
Thank you so much for reading. Questions or comments are always welcome.